Though I’m not new to smoothies (I live in America, hello), smoothie bowls are pretty new to me. It makes sense when you think about it — a too-thick-to-sip smoothie needs to be eaten with a spoon anyway. It’s basically ice cream in one of its best incarnations: ice cream soup.
I’m a pretty big fan of incorporating super foods into your diet as often and as painlessly as possible. Some super foods taste amazing (cacao nibs, honey), some are neutral (chia, hemp), some are… interesting (I’m talking about you spirulina). I have to admit, there is a little kid inside of me that NEEDS the adult inside of me to hide gross-but-good-for-me ingredients inside of sweet things. Mostly I get down with smoothies when it comes to this trick. I have yet to put beans in my brownies, or spinach in my donuts. I am dreading the day I become that person, but I know it’s only a matter of time. I wore a floor length all linen dress the other day — the kind I usually see on hippie grandmas. And it felt SO GOOD.
- 1 banana, frozen and sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1 tsp chia
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- ½ tsp bee pollen
- 1.5 cups rice or nut milk, or enough to just cover the ingredients in your blender.
- Place all ingredients in a blender, filling with just enough rice milk to cover ingredients. Blend until uniform.
- Pour into a bowl, top with bee pollen, slurp/spoon into mouth.